When Married Raj Kapoor Opened Up About His Alleged Relationship with Nargis: 'My Wife Is Not My...'

When Married Raj Kapoor Opened Up About His Alleged Relationship with Nargis: 'My Wife Is Not My...'     


Raj Kapoor reminisced about his first encounter with Nargis when she was just 16, during a time when he was already married to Krishna Raj Kapoor and had children.  

Renowned as the "Greatest Showman" of Indian cinema, Raj Kapoor enjoyed a prolific and celebrated career. However, his personal life was often marred by controversies, particularly concerning rumours of his romantic involvements with various actresses he collaborated with, despite his marriage to Krishna Raj Kapoor.

Ads by Eonads

Following the success of his final film, Ram Teri Ganga Maili, Raj Kapoor participated in a documentary produced by Prasar Bharati where he addressed these longstanding speculations. He sought to clarify the nature of his relationships with his wife and with legendary actress Nargis, with whom he had shared the screen in 18 films. Kapoor emphasized that there was no deception involved, as both women understood their distinct positions and significance in his life.

Recalling his first meeting with Nargis, Kapoor described how profoundly it affected him. At the time, Nargis was a youthful 16-year-old, and Raj Kapoor was a married man with children. This impactful meeting later inspired a scene in his film Bobby, featuring his son Rishi Kapoor alongside actress Dimple Kapadia. He fondly described "Nargis as very young, angelic, absolutely... What a great actress she was." Kapoor elaborated, "For me, cinema demanded complete and unwavering devotion. Anyone or anything connected to it became an integral part of me. Nargis contributed immensely to what RK Studios represents today."

Ads by Eonads

During the interview, Kapoor made it evident that marrying Nargis was never his intention. Notably, he refrained from mentioning her name directly, referring to her simply as the actress. He explained, "From the very start, I established clear boundaries. It's a straightforward truth that my wife is not my actress, and my actress is not my wife. By 'my wife,' I mean the mother of my children. My family life always existed separately. Krishna was the mother of my children, while the actress shared and found satisfaction in contributing to my creative pursuits. That was her fulfilment."  

Kapoor stressed that the distinctions between his wife and Nargis were always maintained, as he never attempted to interchange their roles. This clear demarcation helped preserve balance and respect in their respective positions. Throughout the years, both women operated within their own spheres without feeling overshadowed or secondary. He stated, "Neither felt subordinate in any way. Each was supreme in her own realm, understanding and accepting her place without any sense of betrayal. The mother of my children was never meant to be my actress, so she never felt deceived, nor did I. Similarly, the actress came into my life as my collaborator in art, not as the mother of my children."  

Ads by Eonads

Post a Comment

0 Comments